PressReader, the World’s Most Popular Newspaper App for Android, Lands in Amazon Appstore and on Amazon Kindle Fire
NewspaperDirect Inc., the world leader in multichannel newspaper and magazine content distribution, has released PressReader for Android for the newest hot tablet from Amazon: the Amazon Fire. When the Amazon Kindle Fire ships tomorrow, users will be able to activate the Fire’s built-in Amazon Appstore app to download PressReader and start reading complete digital replicas of their favorite newspapers from around the world.
PressReader for Android runs on Amazon Kindle Fire and on the latest Gingerbread- and Honeycomb-based phones and tablets, offering newspaper fans around the world a portable and engaging read of the more than 2,000 full-content newspapers and magazines from 95 countries and in 51 languages that are available through NewspaperDirect’s PressDisplay.com digital newsstand. Among the titles available for download every day are: Al Jazirah, China Daily, Daily Mail, L’Equipe, The Hindu, The Guardian, The Globe and Mail, International Herald Tribune, Le Monde, National Post, Philippine Daily Inquirer, The Star (Malaysia), The Times of India, and The Washington Post.
Key features of PressReader for Android include:
- Access to 2,000+ full-content digital newspapers and magazines from 95 countries in 51 languages, all available from a single application
- Presentation of complete digital replicas of newspapers and navigation using thumbnails or tables of contents
- Automatic daily download of favorite publications for offline reading
- Touch-driven: flip, pan, rotate and zoom articles and photos
- A rich graphics full-page view and a convenient text view for individual articles
- On-demand narration of news stories
- Sharing of articles through email, Facebook and Twitter
- Support for on-board hardware acceleration on Honeycomb-based devices
- Integration with an existing PressDisplay.com subscription
NewspaperDirect works directly with publishers to ensure their newspapers and magazines are made available on PressReader the moment that they are in print. Often, PressReader users can download their favorite daily publication before it’s on newsstands or their neighbor’s driveway.
PressReader gives Amazon users what they’ve been missing: hundreds more of their favorite newspapers in a consistent and immersive reading experience, all within just one application,” said Alex Kroogman, CEO of NewspaperDirect. “This move means we’ve also significantly broadened our offering to publishers. The availability of PressReader in the Amazon Appstore means that millions more tablet users will have instant access to the wealth of premium news content only we can offer in this fast-growing digital distribution channel.
Availability and pricing
PressReader for Android and Amazon Kindle Fire is available as a free download from Amazon Appstore for Android. New customers receive seven trial issues for free. Most individual newspapers and magazines available through PressReader can be purchased for $0.99 per issue, or downloaded in conjunction with a paid subscription on PressDisplay.com. For full details on subscription pricing, visit the PressDisplay.com subscription page.